Senior advocate Nitya Ramakrishnan, appearing for Navlakha, contested the figure of Rs 1.64 crore saying the agency's calculation of the amount payable was wrong and contrary to the relevant rules.
Bollywood actor Salman Khan has allegedly received a death threat again along with a demand of Rs 2 crore following which the Mumbai police have registered a first information report (FIR) against an unidentified person, an official on Wednesday.
The threat message was received on the Mumbai traffic police helpline and an officer read it around midnight, the official said.
Two persons including a man who allegedly opened fire outside Bollywood actor Salman Khan's residence in Mumbai have been arrested from Gujarat, police said on Tuesday.
The CBI had initiated action in a secret operation last month in which two retired Navy personnel and as many private persons in addition to the Navy officer were taken into custody, they said.
The driver of the cab that fatally knocked down former Intel India country head Avtar Saini in Maharashtra's Navi Mumbai, has told the police that he lost control over the vehicle as he dozed off because he was driving all night, an official said on Friday.
An SIT should be formed to probe the killing and the high court should monitor the investigation, the petition demanded.
Prolonged incarceration without trial amounts to infringement of the right to life under the Constitution, the Bombay high court said while urging a special court to expedite the trial in the 2018 Elgar Parishad-Maoist links case.
A 26-year-old unemployed man, who had been on the run after he allegedly raped and murdered his estranged fashion designer girlfriend in Uttar Pradesh's Noida city, has been arrested from Panvel, the police said on Tuesday.
The gang planned to use sophisticated weapons, including AK-47, from Pakistan for the attack, the official said.
The Supreme Court agreed to list for hearing on Friday a fresh plea of activist Gautam Navlakha, who has not been put under house arrest despite the apex court's direction in the Elgar Parishad-Maoist link case.
The Supreme Court said on Friday keeping activist Gautam Navlakha under house arrest in the Elgar Parishad-Maoist link case further will set a "wrong precedent" and directed the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to apprise it of his current medical condition and the stage of trial.
Four members of the Guru Satam gang, including Vijay Thopte, who had jumped parole while serving a jail sentence for murdering trade union leader Datta Samant, were on Thursday arrested from Navi Mumbai, said the police. Thopte, 36, was carrying a reward of Rs 10,000 on his head, the police said, adding that he had been absconding since 2005. Acting on a tip-off, the police laid a trap today afternoon at Raghu Leela Mall near Vashi railway station.
Reacting to Waze's claims, Fadnavis, who heads the Home department, assured to conduct a proper inquiry.
After identifying the duo, the police used human and technical intelligence to track them.
Pujari is allegedly involved in eight serious cases in Mumbai, including firing, extortion and murder. A resident of Tagore Nagar in Vikhroli, he had fled from the country years ago. He had allegedly targeted builders and businessmen in eastern Mumbai, the crime branch official said.
A case under Indian Penal Code Sections 120B (criminal conspiracy) and 153A (promoting enmity between groups) as well as under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act was registered in Kochi.
Two motorcycle-borne persons, who allegedly opened fire outside Bollywood superstar Salman Khan's house in Bandra, Mumbai, had rented a house for a month in Navi Panvel in Raigad district, some 40 km from Mumbai, where he has a farmhouse, an official said on Monday.
The incident took place in Vashi area at around 1.30 pm on Saturday when the 37-year-old police naik, Siddeshwar Mali, was on bandobast duty on account of the visit of Union Home Minister Amit Shah, they said.
However, till Monday evening he was still in prison as formalities for his release could not be completed.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday granted bail to activist Gautam Navlakha in the Elgar Parishad-Maoist links case.
According to a senior ATS official, the man identified as Rizwan Khan was arrested from his residence at Kalyan in Thane district on Friday night.
Social activist Gautam Navlakha, accused of having links to Maoists and Pakistan's spy agency ISI, on Friday withdrew from the Supreme Court his application seeking to be shifted to Delhi from Mumbai under house arrest.
Navlakha's lawyers, advocates Yug Chaudhry, Wahab Khan and Chandni Chawla, were likely to move the Supreme Court after Wednesday's ruling of the special NIA court, sources said.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday cleared the hurdle for the release of activist Gautam Navlakha from Navi Mumbai's Taloja prison, where he is lodged in the Elgar Parishad-Maoist link case, by waiving the requirement of a solvency certificate for availing the benefit of house arrest.
Seventeen years after he fled from the country, Feroze Abdul Rashid Khan, a key accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts case, has been arrested by the Mumbai police from a village in Navi Mumbai.
The accident took place at around 5.50 am on Wednesday, when Saini, 68, was riding a bicycle along with fellow cyclists on the Palm Beach Road in Nerul area, an official said.
A bench of Justices S B Shukre and G A Sanap dismissed the plea and said that if Navlakha had any grievances pertaining to the lack of medical aid and basic facilities at Taloja jail -- the grounds he had cited while seeking house arrest -- he should inform the special NIA court of the same.
Reports said that Aslam had received a phone call from the alleged kidnappers demanding a ransom of Rs 2 crore.
A builder was injured and his friend escaped unhurt when the latter's sacked employee fired at them at Virar in neighbouring Thane district, police said on Tuesday.
The NIA said in its affidavit that Waze's case was different from that of Varavara Rao accused in the Elgar Parishad case and while the latter had been granted medical bail, Waze was asking for continuing judicial custody in the form of house arrest.
Three Indian Navy sailors have been arrested for allegedly molesting three girls and assaulting policemen when they intervened, police said on Monday.
The special investigation team of Thane police has arrested two more persons from Navi Mumbai in connection with the alleged gang-rape of a 15-year-old girl, an official said on Friday.
Comments like "hell is waiting" and "you hate Brahmins" are part of the post that allegedly criticises the veteran leader.
Probationary Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer Puja Khedkar, who is at the centre of a controversy over alleged misuse of power and privileges, may be terminated from service if found guilty, official sources said on Friday.
A 21-year-old stenographer with the CBI, in Navi Mumbai was today arrested for allegedly molesting a female doctor while she was asleep in a Mumbai-bound Express train, railway police said.
'If my brother was a criminal they could have filed a case against him and put him on trial. Why kill him?' This is not justice.'
Nitin Manmohan, the son of late actor Manmohan, has Nitin produced movies like Bol Radha Bol and Laadla.
The apex court on July 28 granted bail to the two accused, noting that the actual involvement of Gonsalves and Ferreira in any terrorist act has not surfaced from any third-party communications.